Saturday, January 31, 2009

Nothing Says Chinese New Year Like...Elvis?






Today we took the kiddos to our city's Chinese New Year Celebration. We had no idea what to expect and I'm glad because it was certainly underwhelming. It was disorganized and at times, resembled a red and gold garage sale. I'm not really complaining though. It was only the 3rd annual CNY event for our city and I'd say there were a few hundred people who showed up. Not too bad for a medium-size Southern city with a small Chinese population. Being surrounding by Chinese families for most of the afternoon made me sad that Kai has lost his first language. His Mandarin was very good (for a 2 year old) when we adopted him. In China, Kai would tell our guide things like "I had eggs for breakfast" or "Daddy smashed my finger in the stroller" (which was a true statement that's funny now but most definitely was not at the time!) If nothing else, the CNY celebration gave me the incentive to do some research on the Chinese school in our area.

By far the most interesting part of our afternoon was watching a Chinese Elvis impersonator sing "Suspicious Minds". I love that song as much as anyone but Chinese Elvis had me cracking up! Now that I think about it, what says Chinese New Year like Elvis?

3 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

I'm sorry I missed out on that Elvis! I'm sure he was the highlight of your day:)

Heather said...

That cracks me up. My husband would have got a kick out of Elvis! Sorry to hear your event wasn't everything you had hoped it would be. Perhaps the organizers will get it together & it will blow you away next year.

Denise Grover Swank said...

I've only been to one Chinese New Year event (well 2 if you count when Darrell and I were in San Francisco and watched the CNY parade in China town.) The one we went to was in Little Rock, before we even got Jenna, we were still waiting for our referral. It was the most disorganized, poorly planned thing we have ever been too. In fact, out tickets were supposed to cover a buffet dinner but there were more people than there was food so we ended up eating at Sonic. But that being said, I really would like for Ryan, Jenna and Emma to celebrate it, even if just a little bit.