Monday, January 26, 2009

Had a Bad Day

Don't I look happy?

I had a seriously bad day today. After this post, I am confident that I will be returning my "Mother of the Year" award. I might even get a visit from the talented social workers at DHR (our state's social services.) But I don't really care right now. Today really stunk and I'm writing about it. To explain, I must go back to last Wednesday. Wednesday happened to be my last day at my new job. I was layed off (yes, after only working for 2 full weeks, I was informed that the office had a new nepotism rule that prohibited me from being hired in the first place.) Frigging Awesome!

But I digress...

This morning I take the kids to school and I have nowhere to be (since I had to quit my volunteer jobs to take the "real" job which I no longer have.) Having nowhere to be is very unusual for me and quite honestly, I don't quite know what to do with myself. After a good bit of thought, I decide to have a day to myself and jump back into bed with a bowl of Froot Loops and the tv clicker firmly in hand. Here's where my day gets really pathetic - the next thing I remember I am rolling over to look at the clock (which says 12:10pm) and Jon and Kate plus 8 is blaring on the tv. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have inadvertently taken a 3 hour morning nap and now have just enough time to jump into the shower and race to pick up Kai at preschool. I know, I'm such a winner and you wish you could be exactly like me!

I get Kai and together we wait another full hour until Piper and J.D.'s schools are out (which interestingly enough, puts Kai in his car seat for over 1.5 hours. Can you say fun?) J.D. thoughtfully informs me that he has a lot of homework and he hopes we aren't busy tonight. The good news is that we aren't busy tonight. The bad news is that David is out of town so I get to do everything myself (my apologies here to anyone who is a single mom. I know I am a complete wimp.) We work on J.D.'s homework all night (which consists of a 4 page study guide on Matter and The Periodic Table of Elements, a project on Benjamin Franklin, and a D.A.R.E. essay.) During that time, I actually go into my bedroom, close the door and punch a pillow several times because I am so angry that Kai has peed in his pants right after he has spent 15 minutes sitting on the potty. Piper is whining that she misses her daddy and declares that she is going to pray tonight that daddy comes home tomorrow (which he isn't.) Secretly, I am praying for God to let this day end with no one being hurt.

I put Kai to bed 15 minutes early. Since I can no longer get the squirt to take a nap, 15 minutes isn't too bad. An hour later, I joyously put J.D. and Piper to bed. But do you really, honestly think my night's over? No way, Jose! Piper just came downstairs to inform me that she's hot, has a sore throat and can't sleep. Ahh. Don't you just love life sometimes. I sure do.

P.S. Seriously guys - I have great kids, a great husband, and we're all (relatively) healthy. I know I'm blessed beyond belief. It just takes a really bad day every once in a while to make you truly appreciate all the good ones.

4 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

Heather, I so totally understand! Ryan pooped and peed in a toilet in China and I expected him to revert back to diapers but he turns 3 on Sunday and the nastiest of nastiness comes out of that boy's booty and fills his diaper. Its so totally disgusting. And he'll just sit in it and not care so by the time I figure it out part of it is now dry and clinging to his booty. Wiping that booty is at least a 15 wipe job. Gross, not to mention TMI...

Oh and right there with you enjoying the sick kids. Jenna stayed home yesterday, although she was feeling better since Sunday but Julia came home from school crying because her throat hurt and before the night was out we had a raging fever and multiple bathroom trips. Nothing like re-examining your child's dinner to decrease your appetite. I see a doctor's visit in our future...

Flamingo said...

wow! that actually sounds wonderful to take a 3 hour morning nap!;)

i know what you mean...sometimes it isn't much but just the other overall day that makes you want to to crawl in a hole..that happens to me...especially when there are hormones to mix in!

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane said...

Wow...I could have almost written that post (except my kiddos are younger than yours). I've had quite a few of THOSE days lately. And I so hear you on the pee accident. Our youngest is potty training but he has no desire to...I'm getting really tired of changing wet clothes after begging and pleading him to go to the bathroom.
I hope some blog venting made you feel a bit better.

Mommy said...

I've been MIA for a while but I'm back. We are in the throws of potty training here too. UGH! For your viewing pleasure, I updated our blog for Nov. Eventually I'll get up to date. Hope you have a much better day today (and that DH comes home soon)!