Sunday, January 4, 2009

Days 2 & 3 - Cincinnati

Trivia Question of the Day: What is this?

Feeding the lorikeets

Kai and a gorilla


Kai, mom, and a polar bear

David, Kai and downtown Cincinnati

We're having a nice weekend here in Cincinnati. Yesterday we went to the zoo (quite interesting) and today we visited the Newport Aquarium. Our zoo experience was funny. We arrived around 10:30am on a Saturday morning. Where we live, the zoo is always busy on weekends. Not in Cincinnati. I promise there must have been no more than 50 people in the entire zoo. It was crazy. There were times when we could not see another human being. We couldn't believe that 33 degrees was too cold for these tough Northerners! I don't know, maybe there were news reports of a rabid zoo animal on the loose. Nevertheless, we had fun and we were (just a little) proud that us wimpy Southerners braved the weather. On a side note, I have to tell you that this zoo has some of the most interesting animals we have ever seen. I'm posting a picture of one such animal above, and the first one to correctly identify it gets a super prize (as long as the self-satisfaction that you are smart is a super prize to you!)

After the zoo, we took a nap and skipped dinner in lew of a movie. Two thumbs up for Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler.

We spent this morning at the aquarium right next to our hotel. I had been told that it couldn't compare to the Atlanta or Chattanooga Aquariums so I went in with low expectations. It was very nice and we had a good time. No, it's not as big as other aquariums, but how big does an aquarium really need to be? I probably shouldn't admit this but aquariums make both David and I very sleepy. Our very low-brow theory is: If you've seen one fish, you've seen them all. It was, however, worth the trip because Kai had fun and that's all that really matters.

Tonight we're heading out to a nice dinner. We haven't picked a restaurant just yet, but we're in a high-end area of town and nice ones surround us. Tomorrow morning Kai undergoes more testing and some (minor) surgery. I'll let you know how everything went when we get back to Bama.

2 comments:

Heather said...

We have always enjoyed our trips to Cinci. We've never been to the zoo but will definitetly have to check it out next time.

Wuxi Mommy said...

I reallly am curious what that animal is! I have absolutely no idea what to guess, but I'll be keeping my eyes on your blog for the big reveal:) Praying today that Kai will do well with his tests and you will get good news.