Friday, January 23, 2009

25 Things About Me



Shannon at Here We Grow Again tagged all of her loyal followers to list "25 Things About Me." I will admit that this feels a little self-indulgent, but I'm going to do it since I'm not one to turn a cyber-friend down (and it will probably be a bit cathartic too!) So here goes...

25 Things About Me

Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

1. I got married at 21 (way too young.) Many of our friends didn't think we would ever make it. I think the last 16 years have proved them wrong!

2. I can not multi-task. I have a one track mind and must finish one task before I start another.

3. I am a horrible procrastinator. I can barely remember the last time I finished anything early.

4. I love fun and adventurous jobs. If I'm interested in something, I usually go for it. My 2 favorite jobs (so far) have been police officer and flight attendant.

5. I think parenting boys is 10 times easier than parenting girls. You don't have to worry so much about their sensitive emotions and boys seem to deal with a lot less peer pressure (girls can be so nasty!)

6. I'm a fast reader. If I really get into a book, I usually finish it in under a week (of course, some great books get finished in a couple of days.)

7. Years ago, when JD was a baby, I thought I was losing my mind staying at home with him. Now, I am truly enjoying my position as a stay-at-home mom. It's funny how time can change a person.

8. In my mind, I am still super cool. In reality I'm a middle-aged, minivan driving, soccer mom of 3 (almost 4) kids. I love how my mind plays tricks on me!

9. I have met some of my closest friends online, because of adoption (I stole this from Shannon's list but it is completely true for me also.)

10. I truly have a heart for adoption. If we had the money (which we definitely do not) I would love to adopt several more children (boys, girls, younger, older - it makes no difference to me.) Unfortunately, as it is, this will be our last adoption due to finances.

11. I am addicted to Diet Pepsi and I am working extremely hard to wean myself off of Little Debbie snack cakes. I know, I know, you had no idea what a health food nut I am!

12. I was really skinny until I birthed JD - 11 years ago. They say it takes 9 months to lose all the weight you gained during your 9 month pregnancy. I think "they" are complete idiots! I say it takes at least 9 years to lose the weight you gained in those 9 months (and by the way, since I have birthed 2 kids, that's 18 years.) I'm planning on losing all of my baby weight sometime during the next decade. I'm thinking I might be a really hot 50 year old!

13. I am a strict parent (and so is David, for that matter.) Please and thank you go a long way around here and talking back deserves the death penalty. A whiny child NEVER gets what they want in our house - no exceptions.

14. I went several years without crying. I don't know why, but in general, I just wasn't a emotional person. That was then. Now I find myself crying every month. It can be a song, a movie, a stupid commercial or something one of my kids say, but sometimes I just can't turn off the waterworks (and you have no idea how bad that irritates me!)

15. I'm going to have virtual twins very soon! Kai and Cooper are only 7 months apart. We are going to have so much fun around here.

16. I really want to be on "The Amazing Race" one day. I think David and I would have a good chance at winning.

17. I know this is very un-Christian of me to say, but I think people who put their daughters in beauty pageants are completely screwed up. Enough said.

18. I love to blog. It makes me happy and is my biggest hobby these days (since I don't' have a "real" job.)

19. I really want another dog. Kai was terrified of our Australian Shepherd, Indy, so David's parents were nice enough to let her move in with them last year. For me, living without a dog is like living without my left arm. But I have vowed "no dogs" until Cooper comes home.

20. I am a domestic misfit. I can't cook, sew, craft or clean (okay, I CAN clean, I just hate doing it.) It's a little disturbing to be a domestically challenged stay-at-home mom (working moms can get away with this so much easier.)

21. I love living in the South but I also want to live where it snows. If I won the lottery, the first thing I would buy is a house in the mountains (but I don't play the lottery, so I guess my chances of this happening are a tad slim.)

22. I really like my in-laws. I know, you think it's impossible. But I truly like spending time with them. They're smart, they're fun, they love my kids - what else could I ask for?

23. I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I did in the past and I never kept a single one of them. My willpower is next to nil. I'm sure that says something about me that I'd rather not know.

24. I love my house. We built onto it last year and I think I'll probably die here (unless of course, the lottery thing comes through and I move to my chalet in the mountains.)

25. I don't talk about my Christianity on my blog very much because I am so flawed. I worry that I will be seen as a hypocrite and a bad example. Regardless, I am trying to follow Christ, to get to know Him better, and to allow Him to transform my life. Goodness knows I could certainly use the help.

Like Shannon, I am now tagging all of my readers. If you enjoyed my list, make one for yourself and leave me a comment. I want to learn all about you!

5 comments:

Flamingo said...

Heather, I'm now "cyber stalking" your blog:) I'm with HAS and just recieved my LOSC...hopefully will be flying the skies soon!

By the way, I love the 25 things about people!

Denise Grover Swank said...

Great list girl!
#5 I agree about boys being easier than girls. I hear ya! So why did I go and have myself THREE girls??? There's so much drama!

#7 I can relate to having a hard time becoming a stay at home mom. I was used to working full time since I was practically a kid. I was used to bosses who appreciated what I did and went a house full of kids who could really careless that you go all the laundry done. Now I love it, although I fear a job might be in my future.

#16 I LOVE the Amazing Race. I just don't know who I would do it with. In fact, I started a blog post about this last fall but never finished it. Maybe next season.

Shannon said...

Hi Heather! Thanks for posting your list and sharing your blog! Looks like we have alot in common. Will be back to visit soon, your kids are adorable!

catbertie said...

I will do this on our family blog.....sounds like fun!!! (one who's been following along a lot, but guilty of not commenting)
blessings,
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Heather, I always enjoy the blog and regret that I don't take time to read it more often. You are such a good, funny writer! Thanks for the nice comments about "in laws" on your list of 25. The feeling is certainly mutual.
So glad you and Kai are much better and do hope no one else gets sick. Take care!
Love, Linda