Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bones & Gardens




















Look at those bones! We went hiking this weekend in a wooded area behind David's parents house. There are no trails there and the by the look of things, no one had explored the area in quite a long time. J.D. and Piper spied a single bone at first. It was a vertebrae and we were all shocked to find something that could be human remains (I know, we're a little sick in the head.) The kids were so excited that they began to walk back and forth, clearing the ground, hoping to find more of the skeleton. After 30 minutes of intense searching, they showed us their loot. Amazingly enough, they had found the good part of a deer skeleton (skull, both femurs, pelvis, and 12 vertebrae.) They also found a turtle's shell which Kai particularly likes. Honestly, we could have sat and watched paint dry all weekend and that one trek into the woods would have made it all worthwhile!

On MLK day (which by the way, is also Robert E. Lee Day here in Alabama - don't even get me started on how stupid I think that is) David had to work so I packed up the kids and we headed to a new botanical gardens in town. The kids needed to get outside. They were driving me crazy and I really wanted Kai to get tired so he would take a nap. Since it was a safe place to run, we let Kai lead our expedition (such simple pleasures.) He ran and ran and ran until of course, he fell. Yes, my sweet Kai had pebbles embedded into his cheeks and looked like he had been eating dirt as we exited the park. I can't believe I forgot to get a nice picture of dirt boy for the blog. Since it's winter (even here in Alabama) and everything is dead outside, the "gardens" were nothing more than nicely groomed trails around stagnant plants and dead leaves. To be honest, I know nothing about gardening, or flowers, or plants and I'm just fine living with my ignorance of such things. The kids got to run and explore and that made our trip a huge success to me.

1 comment:

Denise Grover Swank said...

Poor Kai. It sounds like he had a great day at the botanical gardens anyway.

We like things "morbid" too, for lack of a better word. When the boys were younger and Darrell was alive they would sometimes stop on unbusy roads and look at road kill on the side of the road. So they would have LOVED the bones!!!