Thursday, June 30, 2011

Last Full Day in Taiyuan














Last Full Day in Taiyuan

The last two days have kind of run together. We’ve spent them walking the streets of Taiyuan, eating, and getting to know Molly Kate better. Sometimes it seems that we are either talking about what we are going to eat, getting ready to eat, or actually eating. I’ll be glad when we’re home and we can grab a quick sandwich or bowl of cereal without all the hoopla.

Today we went to a huge park that was ½ amusement park and ½ regular park. JD and Piper rode a few rides and Molly Kate and I watched from the sidelines. We saw people practicing Tai Chi and Kung Fu at the park and also saw people dancing (it looked like a flash mob), playing badminton and generally having a good time. Speaking of badminton, we saw a group of middle age people playing badminton (complete with the net) with their feet! Yes, it’s just another example of why Americans are fat and Chinese are not.

When we were at the park, we wandered to an area that had several journalist/photographers doing a piece on the 90th anniversary of the communist party (that’s what we were told?) Anyway, the group of photographers took one look at me carrying Molly Kate and they immediately turned their cameras on us. Piper was standing next to me and got a shot of the mob photographing us. We definitely stand out in Taiyuan where there are very few Westerners!

Molly Kate continues to do amazingly well. She is so happy that it’s unbelievable. I think she’s a lot like Kai – the glass is always half full! Taking care of a 3 year old 24/7 without David is however, getting tiring. I wouldn’t recommend traveling without your husband unless you absolutely have to. JD and Piper are truly a huge help but there’s no substitute for 2 parents. Molly Kate especially wears me out at meal times. She only wants to sit down for a short amount of time and then she’s on to more interesting things. She wants to eat whatever anyone else has (yes, David we have another moocher on our hands.) It’s not even worth ordering her a meal of her own because whatever I order is much more appetizing. She’s a regular 3 year old in every way and it’s hard not being able to fully communicate (and also worrying that if I say no too sternly, she will have a total meltdown.) So far, she hasn’t has any meltdowns. She gets irritated when I tell her no and she stomps her little foot but when I get more serious, she gives up and does what I ask her. I guess I should be counting my blessings for that.

Tomorrow (Friday in China) we’ll fly to Guangzhou to complete the American side of Molly Kate’s adoption. We’ll also meet the rest of our travel group which includes 7 other families (several from in and around Birmingham.) It will be nice to be in Guangzhou (even though it will scorching hot) and see all the familiar faces.

Thanks so much for all the prayers and good wishes. We cherish them.

6 comments:

A Beautiful Mess said...

Fun!! We went to that park too! Our big kids had fun on a couple rides. MK is looking well....although she is one skinny minny!!!

Safe and happy travels!

The Drinkwaters said...

Enjoy your last day in Taiyuan! So happy to hear things are going well.

Susan said...

Cecily and I have been keeping up with your trip. Molly Kate is so beautiful and we can't wait to meet her! She looks like such a happy kid. She must know how lucky she is to be an Olivet!

mbcfree said...

Hi Heather,
MK is beautiful. She looks so happy. My friend Kelley Brown will be in Guangzhou tomorrow as well. She and her husband Scott have two 3yr olds, (Carter is bio and Grace is chinese) and they are adopting 12 yr old LiYun.
Kelley also has red hair so she should be easy to spot. They live in Vestavia as well. I am so excited that you got a child that just seems so happy to be alive. Praise the Lord! I can't wait to meet her!

Grandmama said...

All of you look so happy and we are thrilled that MK is doing well. JD and Piper, You look like you are really helping a lot and we're proud of you.
Take care and safe travels to and in Guangzhou. Happy 4th--maybe at Lucy's. Enjoy a burger for us there. Can't wait to see you soon.
Much Love,
Granddad and Grandmama

Unknown said...

She is beautiful. Congratulations!! Thanks for sharing your trip on your blog. Its funny how Guangzhou feels like coming home after being in another Province. What a beautiful family you have!