Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Journey to Datong







We’ve had two wonderful nights with our girl. Ning Ning (aka Molly Kate) just curls up next Piper and is out like a light. Yesterday was a long, long day but it was successful on many fronts and Molly Kate is now officially our daughter in the eyes of China. We left the hotel at 8am yesterday for an appointment at the Civil Affairs Office and then we headed to Datong. The drive to Datong took 4 solid hours and our driver drove like your grandma’s grandma. We couldn’t have gone over 45mph even on the interstates. I just had to sit back and try to relax. Molly Kate was very sweet on the drive, and with the exception of some typical 3 year behavior (i.e. I don’t want to sit down, I want candy, etc.) it went smoothly. After we signed some paperwork at the police station, it was time to visit the orphanage. Our guides did not want us to take Molly Kate back there. They kept saying, “She is a very smart girl and the orphanage will make her cry. Crying is not good for babies, especially babies with bad hearts.” I told them that we would compromise and if Molly Kate started crying that we would leave immediately. You know what? She didn’t shed a tear. She hung on to me for dear life but never cried. She seemed to enjoy waving and smiling at the nannies from safely on my hip. I was able to take many, many photos of children in the orphanage, so if you are matched with a Datong baby, please let me know and I will send you my photos. Better yet, when I get home I will upload all of my photos to the Datong SWI Yahoo Group.

It’s morning here in China and our day will mainly consist of finding things to do. Our guides are not into touring so we are pretty much on our own (which is more or less okay with us since it’s more adventurous that way anyway.) We just need to stave off boredom and sleepiness!

We love you all back home so much. Molly Kate is truly the answer to so many prayers. I couldn’t have imagined her sweetness and beauty if I had tried. Enjoy the photos of our amazing girl!

5 comments:

A Beautiful Mess said...

She is one happy girl!! I am glad that you were able to get to the SWI. Is this where MK lived or was she in foster care?

Safe and happy travels!!

The Drinkwaters said...

Glad you were able to visit the SWI while in Datong. It is a very long drive with not much to see on the way, but we were happy to have the opportunity to go. We felt we needed to see where our daughter had spent some of her time before joining our family.

Our guide was nervous as well taking us there (not Helen, but her co-worker Verena), but our daughter did not cry either. We found that after we left, she began to cling to us even more. The Ayi's were very nice to her and kept repeating that we were Mama and Baba, which I think might have helped as well.

We also found that our guide was not into taking us sight seeing, or even introducing us to local restaurants, which was quite different from our first trip to China. We did visit the museum, but that was it other than official appointments. So I can't be much help in suggesting things to do or see.

Love the picture of Molly Kate coming out behind the curtain, you can see her cuteness and personality shine through!

Amie said...

Heather-

I cannot get over that BIG SMILE!! Omword, it is infectious. makes me smile so big. I just love it! And love that she is clinging to you. bless her sweet little heart! She has a FOREVER FAMILY!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! love. love love.

Happy Day!

:)
Amie

www.heart-smiles.blogspot.com

Mommy said...

She makes my heart go pittypat. I'm just so happy for you that things are going SO WELL! Can you believe it??? Praying you are resting and her transition continues. YAY!

Kim said...

Molly Kate is gorgeous and her smile lights a room! I am so glad she is adjusting so well. My son Max is from the same orphanage.

Blessings,
Kim