Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Day in Hell

Yesterday was one of the most difficult days I have ever endured. I think it ranks second only to the day of JD's tibial osteotomy (a horrible surgery he had back in 1999.) The test Kai had to undergo was extremely painful and mercilessly long. The actual test (not our waiting time or the prep time) took an hour and fifteen minutes. Imagine holding your child down, listening to him scream, and watching him writhe in pain for over an hour. It was awful. I broke down about 30 minutes into the test (which is a first ever for me) and began sobbing uncontrollably along with Kai. I knew the test was going wrong. The radiologist had called in another doctor and a second nurse appeared. Everyone was whispering and I finally demanded that our surgeon be contacted. I had to know how vital this test actually was before I stopped it. Unfortunately, our surgeon said that it was imperative that Kai have the test. I believe that in the end, the results were fine, but we won't get the full results until tomorrow. Right now we are doing another (painless but difficult) test every 3 hours in the hotel room. So far, David and I have botched the test every single time we've tried it (of course, Kai also has some culpability in our failure.) If we screw the test up again this afternoon, I don't know if we will be able to come home on Friday. It never occurred to us that we might be staying longer, so we made no contingency plans for JD and Piper this weekend. I know, we stink as parents sometimes.

In case I made it sound like we're on death's door, I guess I should explain that we're fine now (a good 24 hours post the hellish test.) Kai is happily coloring on the floor and David is working at his computer (so as to not get fired.) I'm finally calm enough to blog about our day yesterday, although just thinking about it makes me feel sick to my stomach. I know this sounds crazy, but major surgery and 11 days in the hospital did not prepare me at all for yesterday. If it's Thursday and you're reading this post, please say a prayer that:
1. David and I are successful with Kai's remaining tests today.
2. We get good results from the test Kai underwent yesterday.
3. The surgeon feels comfortable sending us home tomorrow.

Thanks for your support. I'll update as soon as I can tomorrow.


2 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

Oh, Heather, I am so sorry to hear about your aweful day. I think I may know which test you're referring to, but I sure hope I'm wrong. If it's the one I think it is, I decided long ago that it shouldn't even be performed on animals, let alone people. My heart goes out to you and I'm praying that this whole experience is soon a distant memory. You're doing an amazing job with Kai and I know this is probably taking you to your limits. I hope tommorrow brings good news and the okay to come on home!

Mommy said...

I am still praying that you are able to go home today. I know you are beside yourself with hurt for your sweet little man. I hope he is feeling much better now after such a terrible day.