Thursday, March 12, 2009

Out of Surgery

Kai is out of surgery and we're back in our room (which is so much nicer than the recovery room.) Kai hasn't really woken up except to nod his head and scratch his nose. He's sleeping like an angel and I pray that will continue throughout the night. The surgery lasted about 4 hours and Dr. Levitt said that it went exactly as planned - no surprises, thankfully. Kai is full of tubes and he will have to keep one of them in for the next month. Sounds like fun, huh?

My friend across the hall, Rachel, has come to visit us several times over the last 2 days. She is funny, upbeat and I really like her. She has definitely brightened this bleak place up (most often with her scary talent for making Playdough cars and animals.) I can't wait until her sweet daughter, Lucy, and Kai are feeling well enough to play together. They're only one month apart and have a lot in common (especially when it comes to their hineys!)

I really can't tell you how thankful I am for your prayers and comments. It reminds me of when we were in China and the favorite part of my day was reading the comments that our friends back home had left. It really is like a lifeline. Even though you feel completely isolated and out-of-touch, you know that someone, somewhere, is out there rooting for you.

6 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

I've been thinking and praying for you guys all day. I'm so glad to know everything went well.

Unknown said...

Yay, so glad the surgery part is over. I'm praying that everything is easy and Kai heals up fast now. Thanks for keeping us updated. I might be asking you for tips later ;-)!

Mommy said...

So glad things went well. I was able to read the post yesterday afternoon but didn't have time to comment. We're praying for all of you..especially your little man. Keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

Heather, David, and Kai, We are all so very grateful that yesterday went well. I know that today and tomorrow may be a little rough but hope not. It sounds like you are really a big boy with all of this, Kai. You all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Can't wait until we get to see you next week. Many good wishes are going your way.
Love, Grandmama

Wuxi Mommy said...

I'm so happy that Kai's surgery went well! What a blessing that you have another mommy in the same situation to pass the time with. God always seems to know what or WHO we need, just when we need them:)

Anonymous said...

Please know that I am praying for you and your family. I cannot imagine the roller coaster of emotions, but God says he won't give us more than we can handle. I have held on to that lately for sure. Hope to see you guys back in the bank soon.

Michelle