Monday, February 23, 2009

Lesson Learned



I took the kids to our favorite (all-you-can-eat) Chinese restaurant for dinner tonight. This is the unedited conversation that ensued:

Kai (pointing to a large mural of the Forbidden Palace on the wall): Momma, I was born dere.

Me: That's right sweetheart, you were born in China.

Kai: I no wanna live dere again.

Me: Oh no, we don't live in China. We live here in the United States. But we may visit China soon to get your brother Ash/Cooper (yes, this is still how we refer to the poor boy.) We'll have so much fun in China.

Kai: Momma, please no leave me in China.

Me (attempting to hold back tears): I will never leave you. Never, ever. We are a family now and families are together forever. Mommy and Kai are together forever! I love you so much, Kai.

Kai: I wuv you too, Momma.

(silence while I am trying to pull myself together)

Kai: Momma?

Me: Yes.

Kai: Can I have some ice cream?

Just a glimpse into the depths of my 3 year old's mind. He understands so much more than I give him credit for. I am far from being a perfect mother, but I vow tonight that he will never again have to wonder if I will ever leave him. Lesson learned today - Monday, February 23, 2009.

3 comments:

Denise Grover Swank said...

Oh, that is so sweet. It's amazing what their little minds come up with. Thank goodness he believes you when you say you won't leave him there.

Unknown said...

oh my GOSH I can't wait to meet you!!!!!! Isn't the IA site great?

And I LOVE your kiddos' names, Heather!

Flamingo said...

that is so amazing how much there lil' minds comprehend...thanks for sharing!