Sunday, July 22, 2007

Disney Disaster


This post may come across whiny and harsh, but it is late and tonight I hate Disney. I arrived early this evening at Disney World for a conference. Now, I realize that Disney is a coveted convention spot for many people. It's just that everything tonight seems to be wrong, very wrong. First of all, I am here alone. Disney is a place for families - happy, smiling families. When I checked in (alone, remember) I reminded the lady that I had requested a room near the convention center. In my anal-retentive style, I had even written down the building numbers that I preferred. In a gloriously ironic move, Disney decided to put me in the building farthest from the convention center. In the giant land of Disney, this put me a good mile and a half from where I wanted to be. After asking to speak to the manager (to no avail), I asked if there was a shuttle to my building. I was, after all, carrying a twenty-five pound laptop case, a humongous (carry everything you might ever need) purse, and a bag loaded with adoption books for the "I will not mess my child up" mother in all of us. The lady explained that there were two shuttles that ran from the convention area to the distant buildings and that I should go speak with the bellhop to get a ride.

Now, it gets better. I walk to the bellhop desk and ask for a ride to Building 7000 (I kid you not, this hotel has over 7000 rooms, spread out over the area of a nice-sized golf course.) The bellhop asks me where my bags are and I explain that they are being delivered by Disney Magical Express. The bellhop then states that they only carry people with luggage to their rooms. But, I can wait outside for a different shuttle that picks up their "regular" guests. I proceed to wait 35 friggin' minutes for the elusive shuttle and I am truly about to rip someone's head off. So, I go back inside to the check-in lady and explain my problem. She apologizes about the stupid shuttle and says that she can give me a closer room tomorrow night. Defeated, I head back outside(again)to wait. And then it gets kind of funny. I read the sign at the shuttle stop and it says the last shuttle runs at 7:30pm. Just guess what time it was? You got it, 7:35pm!

I walk..I don't know, maybe 50 miles to my room. It is hot and I am mad and everybody seems to be having a wonderful time with their families. I find my room and open the door and it is HOT. The thermometer says it is 79 degrees inside my very expensive hotel room! I am sweaty and gross and mad and I decide to take my clothes off. I am an underwear sort of girl anyway. Before Dave and I had kids, I would walk around the house in my bra and panties all the time (remember, this is with my pre-kids body.) Why not walk around half-naked in my own private hotel room? I'll tell you why. Because my luggage arrives when I am prancing around the room like a sweaty, middle-aged freak!

I will end this particular part of my hellish Disney saga here. You can guess the ending for yourselves. I'll let you know how the new (ie. closer) room goes tomorrow. Put it this way, I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: