
One of our neighbors got a goose last year. Yes, a big, nasty goose. And we do not live in the country. To the contrary, we live in suburbia. This neighbor is wacko for her goose. She stands outside with her goose for several hours each evening. It squawks and chases runners (and tried to kill our wimpy dog), but the neighbor still loves her goose. In the daytime, the goose lives in her upstairs bedroom. I know this because I can see the goose staring out of the window all day. The goose is mean and creapy and the neighbor is not much different. We have affectionately named this neighbor the "Crazy Goose Lady" (I know, not very original.) Unfortunately, Crazy Goose Lady has now been upstaged by "Crazy Rat Lady". That's right, I am the one and only "Crazy Rat Lady".
Here's the story. For his 10th birthday, J.D. asked for a small furry creature (i.e. Hamster, Gerbil, Guinea Pig.) Being the anal-retentive nut that I am, I decided to research what rodent makes the best pet. Over and over again I read (and was told by pet store employees) that rats are by far the best rodent-like pets to own. I was told that they were smart like dogs, clean like cats, and that they loved people. I was told that unlike gerbils and hamsters, they do not run away when they are let out of their cage. I can not believe we did it, but in a weak moment we bought J.D. two rats (they are very social and must have a friend to live with.) You can tell that I bought all of this hook, line and sinker!
Here's the kicker - I LOVE the rats. Yes, I play with Skit and Lilly (J.D.'s names for the little guys) every night. And the experts were right. They are some of the best pets we have ever had. They are out of their cage several hours a day and they never run away. They are friendly, clean, and the happiest little rattigans you have ever seen. So go ahead, call me "Crazy Rat Lady". I don't really care. At least I've got two rats who love me.












No comments:
Post a Comment