I knew it would happen one day but I had hoped it would be much, much later. I was thinking maybe I could handle it when she was, say, twenty-one. Today, however, Piper did the unthinkable (a good ten years too early.) I'm so mortified that I don't know if I should share it with the world. But I need to. I need to commiserate with other mothers who may have walked this path before me. So deep breath...here goes...
Piper purchased an item of clothing today that I completely disapproved of. I told her straight up that the said item was hideously ugly. And you know what? She didn't care. one. little. bit. She bought it anyway with money she earned from a neighbor's garage sale. My sweet, adorable eleven year old has *
sniff* outgrown my fashion advice. Yes, today Piper bought a pair of
TOMS.

I know, I know - the owner of TOMS donates a pair of shoes to a needy child for every pair of TOMS sold. He's an amazing humanitarian. It's a fabulous idea. I support shoes for the needy, for goodness sakes! I just hate the way these specific shoes look. In my
not so humble opinion, they resemble a $10 home economics project gone wrong. And no, I'm not cool. I'm 40 and coolness took a hike when I bought my first minivan several years ago. But I still know ugly when I see it. And ladies and gentlemen, TOMS are plain ole ugly.
I'm just waiting for the day that Piper says, "You were right mom." Mark my words, I'll happen.
4 comments:
You're right. They are ugly, but if you're 40, you probably remember when espadrilles were the rage. You may have even worn a pair! I didn't, but I remember lots of otherwise sharp dressed people who did without the benefit of donating another pair of shoes to someone less fortunate!
Ha! I loved my flat little espadrilles :) I had stripes and solids. giggle
I just bought a pair of Toms for our hospital stay. I figure they double
for slippers and shoes.
I heard that sketchers were making "Bobs" and donating two pairs of shoes to a needy child. Maybe Bob is cuter than Tom??
My 19 year old bought her first pair when she was 14 and I think I actually kinda like them now:) took that long!!
As one mom of a Piper to another - I personally LOVE my Toms!! I have several pairs - they are so super comfortable & look cute with so many things...yoga pants, capri jeans, skirts... Here's my problem - my oldest dd (11.5 - Chloe) wears a 1/2 size smaller shoe than I do & she tries to steal my Toms.
Post a Comment