Sunday, March 6, 2011

Demystifying Special Needs


There's been something of a ruckus lately on why one would chose to adopt a special needs child given the choice for a healthy child. I guess I should just confess right now that 5 years ago when I saw Kai's photograph for the first time, I was not looking for a child with his special need. I had an extremely short list of special needs that I deemed "acceptable" for our family. Kai's special need was most definitely not on that list. But you know what, God knew that our hearts were much bigger than we realized. And He taught us that children are children - regardless of their scary sounding diagnoses. They are amazing little human beings who deserve the love of a family. Forget the label and love the child.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have 2 little boys - not 2 little boys with special needs. They are wonderful, they are smart, they are healthy and they are full of life. What if I had let my fear of special needs say no to their sweet faces? I don't know about you, but to me, these guys are perfect in each and every way.



7 comments:

More Kids 4 Me said...

I think they are perfect, too!!!

Jessica said...

I agree. Perfect!! :) just adorable!

Lori @ Five of My Own said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori @ Five of My Own said...

what do you mean you're not a good writer? This was great.

Your boys are gorgeous...perfect indeed.

AwesomeCloud and family said...

They are beautiful boys!

I warmed up to special needs when my sister pointed out that "All kids are special needs." I think my husband and I were too naive to be properly afraid of it in the first place. Thank goodness.

Chris said...

beautifully spoken-
They are adorable, and perfect!!
Blessings

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful kids (all of them) and the sunny personalities of your boys just shine through. Doesn't get any more perfect that that! Best wishes for a speedy end of your journey (or just the beginning) to your lovely new addition, Molly. She is lovely through and through!

Lynne
Proud mama to Amelia, a fabulous and fiesty five year old