Sunday, February 14, 2010

Safe Travels

I'm sitting in the airport in Addis Ababa about to leave Ethiopia. This is only the second time during my trip that I've had access to a computer so I wanted to say hello. I just saw that David posted to my blog earlier this week (thank you Honey!) I had no idea that he was going to do that, and if I had known, I would have tried to make my description of this amazing country a little less juvenile. The work my team has done this week has been incredible - not that we're particularly incredible people, but God had truly worked through us to bless many orphans (not to mention that we were also amazingly blessed in the process.)

My $5 time limit in the airport internet cafe is up. Wish me safe travels and I'll update soon.

***I wrote the post above about 14 hours ago (if my calculations are correct.) Speedy internet connections are definitely lacking in Ethiopia and I couldn't publish what I wrote. So here I am in Amsterdam, a day later - still traveling, in what seems to be the most expensive airport in the world. I just paid $13 for a McDonald's cheeseburger meal. I think I pay $2.99 for the same thing at home. Note to future travelers: the US dollar does not hold up well against the Euro. I really wanted to buy the kids some European chocolate bars but I didn't think it was worth taking out a second mortgage on the house. I truly can not wait to get home. Every time I close my eyes I dream of kissing my husband, hugging my kids and sleeping in my cozy bed. Thank God I've only got 13 more hours to go!

4 comments:

Mommy said...

I imagine you are home safely by now. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Melanie Gao said...

Hope you're home safe and sound! I'm with Mommy, can't wait to hear all about your travels. :)

Marion said...

Can't wait to hear more about your journey. I was just looking at photos someone posted of your trip. Amazing.

Shannon said...

Hey Heather! I'm so glad you are home safe with your fam! I am having a really hard time adjusting to this side of the world again. I got a promotion and a bonus (unexpected) and life should be grand, right? But, I'm struggling. How are you doing?

Shannon