Monday, November 16, 2009

Thoughts for the Day





I've been thinking about how nicely things have been going lately and it just hit me that Ash has only been with us for 4 months. Wow. It's amazing - completely and totally amazing that I first hugged my little angel this summer. I would love to post a videotape of him talking to let you all see how wonderful his English is coming along. His most irritating habit - the incessant whining - is also getting much, much better. Of course, the whining beast does rear it's ugly head a few times on most days, but he now understands what he's doing and tries to stop (most often to avoid a time out.) Kai and Ash have grown to love each other as much as they drive each other crazy. I'm not sure one could fall asleep without the other (which is nice since we don't have enough bedrooms for them to each have their own.) Ash has no idea what Christmas is about, but I'm earnestly trying to get him excited for the holiday. I've been singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" about 5 times a day. It's never too early to teach your child that acting naughty = no Christmas presents!

In addition to the Christmas joy already in our house, I'm still on cloud 9 about my trip to Africa. Thanks to all of you who sent me good wishes for the trip. Ever since we adopted Kai, my heart has ached for all the little ones left behind. The children who go to bed hungry, the children without winter coats, the children with no mothers or fathers to kiss them goodnight. Two years ago, we were able to tour Kai's orphanage in northwest China. The tiny, cold babies tightly tucked into their cribs were heart-wrenching. However, the older children, many with disabilities, are what I remember most about our visit. Most likely, they will not be adopted, but rather live out their childhood in the institute. I've recently learned that Ethiopia has 5 million orphans. Can you even imagine 5 million children? I honestly can not. I know 10 days volunteering with the orphans in Africa is not even a tiny drop in a very large bucket, but I'm really looking forward to putting in my small contribution.

No comments: