
I've had a few people mention recently that our family life (ie.adoptions) seems perfect, even simple. They asked me if everything is really as rosy as it appears on my blog. Uh, well... no, of course not. I try to be completely honest and share the good, the bad, and the ugly. And I whole-heartedly apologize if I have made our lives seem a little too "Brady Bunch". To that end, I am dedicating this post to the ugliness currently underway at our house:
Ash is a whiny kid. I abhor whining. I absolutely think it's the worst personality trait possible. We're working on it, but right now Ash's whining is driving me stark raving mad.
Kai likes to make Ash cry. I think Kai believes that he looks a lot better if Ash looks bad (by constantly having fits.) Kai rarely irritates Ash in front of me. He's too smart. He waits until I leave the room to snatch Ash's toy or push him down. Yes, I know, my kids are icons of good behavior.
Ash is a big wimp. He has the pain tolerance of a flea (maybe I should research the actual pain tolerance of a flea before I post this.) Regardless, you get the point. At least 5 times a day, Ash breaks down over some minor or nonexistent injury. Again, it drives me crazy. My motto is "you're fine, suck it up."
Neither of my little boys are potty-trained. Yes, they were both born with defective anatomy so they definitely deserve quite a bit of leeway on this issue. However, Kai starts kindergarten next year so we've got to get things under control sometime in the very near future.
Speaking of kindergarten, David and I were informed last week that Kai must learn his alphabet soon if he is planning to start "big school" in the fall. For some reason, Kai has a mental block when it comes to learning his letters. I've bought 2 videos and some flash cards and am praying that he can catch up.
I hate my husband's job. When he was interviewed last year, he was told that he would be travelling 1 to 3 days a month. Ha! I can't even believe they said that with a straight face. David travels anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks a month. He actually loves the work he's doing and the people he works with, but the travelling is extremely difficult for our family. It's almost impossible for one parent to get 4 kids to all of their extra-curricular activities. I try to be upbeat since he at least has a job in our pathetic economy, but it's nice to vent sometimes.
So there it is, the ugly (somewhat embarrassing) part of our lives right now. If you were thinking that our lives and adoptions seemed a little too good to be true, I hope I've cleared things up for you. We're certainly blessed but we're far from perfect.













6 comments:
So sorry to hear about the whining....we have that as well. I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you find something to help with it please let me know.
oh my gosh!! whining here too!!! i read in a book to encourage it as a way for them to develop healthily. if i could meet that author i'd hit them over the head with their own book:)
anyway, i tell her to open her mouth. she always will start smiling and finally she will open it and i say, "there they go...the whinese are running out!"
it's crazy, but she stops it!
if that works for you, email me and i will tell you who to make the check out too! lol
also understand the pain thing. she sounds like she i being murder whether it's a scratch or amputation!
So it's not always rainbows and sunshines at your house?? When you find a cure for the whining, please send it my way. We have a bad case of the whining here, too!
Thanks for a little ugly--I feel like I do ALL the ugly in the blogging world! Oh, those drama queen wounded ones--I have no patience with them, either. I said exactly that a few weeks ago, and someone commented that when there's lots of change going on, and lots of little kids angling for attention, every boo boo hurts a lot more. And I hated her, because WHO CARES I am still out of sympathy for the 47th band-aid of the day.
But then I thought about what she'd said for every boo boo since, and gained a tiny bit of patience. ALthough not much sympathy still. We also learned recently that Rory sincerely believes band aids are magic. She had an actual bad fall, that required serious bandaging, and she cried and cried and wailed...until we stuck a Dora band-aid over the real bandage. Then it was all better. It must have still hurt, but since it obviously COULDN"T hurt with a band-aid on it, she was off and running.
Hi Heather, Been stalking your blog for a while now, so thought I would say Hi. Also to let you know TONS of whining going on here too! I swear even the baby whines and he can't even talk.
I also, as a preschool teacher, wanted to offer ideas for Kai to learn his letters, however my oldest is in K right now and is bored with them going over the letters he already knows. So I would not be to worried about it. However how my oldest (almost ADHD, never sits still, all boy) boy learned his letters was at www.starfall.com and from the refrigertor V-tech magnet letter things. If you want more ideas, just let me know.
Kristi
Love the honesty!! I just hate the travel too!! My husband is usually gone half the week and it is so stressful on all of us. I cant be 5 places at once no matter how hard I try! ha He is on his way home right now after being gone 3 days. And I have not slept the last two nights, zombie mode right now. Never fails when he is home all is usually well. But when he gets on a plane, kids decide that they dont need sleep at night and they decide Mommy does not either to function!! but he does have a job! Grrrrrr
Your kids are beautiful!! Enjoyed reading your blog.
Post a Comment