Saturday, May 16, 2009

Asian Eyes


A little while ago I took Kai to Kinko's to have his passport photo taken. Kai loves to smile for a camera so I figured it would be a pretty painless task. Kai jumped on the stool for his picture and smiled a big, adorable smile. The clerk took his picture and a few minutes later handed me a set of passport photos. But before I could even get a good look at them she said, "I think I'm going to have to take the picture again. This time you need to make sure he opens his eyes." I stared at the lady in disbelief before I said, "He's Asian and his eyes were open. I think the pictures are perfect." Needless to say, I paid for the pictures and we high-tailed it out of there.

I don't get offended easily so I wasn't really upset by the clerk's comment. I guess it just floored me that she couldn't see the gorgeous child standing in front of her. Sometimes I forget Kai is Chinese. He's Kai, he's my son, and he's beautiful. End of story.

1 comment:

Denise Grover Swank said...

It's funny, because sometimes I look at my kids and forget they're Asian. Now I'm sure some people on APC (which I no longer read) would be extremely offended by that statement, but it's true. I'll look at them and think they don't look very Asian, which of course they do. Jenna tells me sometimes that she doesn't like her eyes because they close when she smiles and it makes me sad. Her eyes are beautiful just the way they are.