I don't have much to share, but I know many of you are checking to see how Kai is doing and the least I can do is give you an update. Kai is feeling much better. You really can't tell from the outside that he is even sick. And truthfully, sick is not the right word. Kai is not sick, he just has a problem (deformity? defect? they all sound so wrong.) This problem, unfortunately, has to be surgically fixed or it could become life-threatening. Kai is on antibiotics to make sure that he doesn't get an infection, which right now, is our worst case scenario.
I am on an emotional roller-coaster. Most of the time (and always in front of the kids) I am calm, cool, and collected. I am putting all my energy into learning as much as I can about Kai's condition and finding the best treatment options available. The rest of the time (usually when I am alone,) I worry like there is no tomorrow. Monday I even broke down in hysterical sobs while talking to the medical records office at Children's Hospital. To make matters even worse, one of J.D.'s beloved rats died on Sunday. David was out of town and I was doing a pretty good job of holding everything together until J.D. and Piper started crying over Lilly (the rat.) The next two days (with David gone, the kids grieving, and me feeling like a total basket-case) can only be summed up by "Calgon take me away." I really need a break. Thank God that David got home last night and sweet Lilly was finally buried in our back yard. Only our family has a formal burial for a animal that most people intentionally kill with traps and poison.
So that about sums it up. We're here, we're alive (all of us except Lilly), and so far no one has been shipped off to the looney bin. I guess all in all, that's the definition of a good week these days.













5 comments:
Heather, don't be too hard on yourself. Your son is faced with a life threatening condition, your his mother. You are entitled to your basket case status. But that being said I can relate to your fence riding-- trying to be brave and present for you kids but worrying about what Kai faces.
This all sounds so familiar to what I went through nearly 3 years ago when Darrell was in the hospital. You're doing great, even if you sob your heart out to a medical records department. It sure beats berating a billing department like I did.
You're in my prayers girl!
We're still praying for you & your precious little Kai! I cannot imagine how hard it is to watch him go through all of this, but please know that you're not walking through this alone:)
Hi again, Heather! I forgot to tell you that I changed my identity from "Heather" to "Wuxi Mommy"! It's still me, though:)
Hi Heather,
Just wanted to know we are thinking of you and praying for you ALL. You have a full plate right now so take time to take care of yourself. Covering you all in prayers.
Elaine
The death of a rat...named Lilly at that...I felt bad for all of you! You DO need a break. Sweet Kai...I pray he will do well.
Your kids are sooooooo cute.
Post a Comment