Friday, April 30, 2010

True Heroism?



Can you say acute patellar fracture? JD can - and he can also tell you exactly how it feels. Last week JD and I sat in our friendly (and way too often visited) orthopedists office and heard his doc utter those exact words.

Tuesday after school, JD and his little brothers were outside playing soccer. Kai kicked the ball into the street and Ash and he raced to see who could get it first. A UPS truck, driving much too fast, came around the corner towards our house. Just as it was about to hit Ash and Kai, JD came to the rescue by pushing them out of the way. The little boys were safe but JD was not as lucky. He landed straight on his kneecap and tore the poor thing to pieces.

I promised JD that I would tell that story. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a shred of truth in it. JD tripped over a cord in the band room at school and fractured his kneecap. Not very exciting or manly and definitely not a good enough story to tell the kids at school. I told JD that the best "injury" stories involve saving a puppy or a baby; thus came the tale of his heroic actions in saving his little brothers from sure death.

I'm having trouble finishing up this blog post. Publishing a story about my children's supposed "near-death" experience just seems wrong - kind of like swearing on their lives. It just not something that a mom should do, right? Well, let's be honest - I've never claimed to be a genius and I don't believe in tempting fate. Now excuse me while I go and find some real wood to knock on...

1 comment:

Mommy said...

I was holding my breath the entire first two paragraphs thinking "Oh NO!!!!!" and then the third one came. LOL! You can tell him you got me. ;-) Sorry he is hurt but glad he didn't truly have an altercation with Mr. UPS. That would be bad.