Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cruella Has Left the Building


There are times when days, even weeks, go by and things are going so well in our corner of the woods that I think to myself, "I really am a good mother." My children are happy, intelligent, well-rounded little people that are a joy to be around. I may not be Carol Brady, but I am a mother of the Millennium and my kids are better for it. I have convinced myself that I will meet my Heavenly Father one day at the pearly gates and He will say, "Heather, my child, you really stunk at a lot of things in life but you did raise those 4 kiddos well. Go ahead and enter."


Unfortunately, this was not one of those weeks. To be completely honest, I gave Cruella de Ville a run for her money. Kai has pneumonia, Ash has a fever virus (whatever that is?) and I have a raging bacterial infection which has spread from my lungs into my left eye. To make matters much worse, JD had a concert on Thursday night, Piper was in the Nutcracker twice this weekend and David had his office Christmas party tonight. Yes, I sucked it up and went to all events, although several people at the office party looked at my oozing eye and quickly walked away like I had leprosy. Our crazy schedule and family sickness put me in a foul mood all week. I truly felt like a chicken running around with it's head cut off. ***Take 2 kids to school. Drag other 2 kids to pediatrician for multiple prodding/poking tests. Check Piper out of school and fight downtown traffic to take her to dress rehearsal (drag sick little boys with 104.8 temps along.) Rush back to 'burbs to pick up J.D. at school. Fly back downtown to pick Piper up in rush hour traffic (still dragging along 2 sick, grumpy 4 year olds.) Drive home (Daytona 500 style) to change clothes and get ready to head out to nightly event (ie. football banquet, band concert, Nutcracker performance, Christmas party, etc...) During one event, get manic phone message from oldest child that Ash is channelling Satan and I must get home to give him a spanking.***


I'm vowing now (Sunday 9;34pm CST) that Cruella has officially left the building. I will not allow our hectic schedule, another snotting nose or drippy eye, or one more trip to the doc ruin our Christmas holiday. I'm so sorry my sweet children - your real mommy will be back when you wake up tomorrow morning.

3 comments:

Wuxi Mommy said...

Oh dear. One Christmas we all had the flu and it was aweful! Too funny that you went to the party with your goopy eye:) That's one way to freak everybody out, isn't it? I'm impressed that you were able to get all that done while being so sick. I definately think you should get into heaven just for that! After my behavior this fall I'm not sure if I'm gonna get in or not...LOL:)

Melanie Dickerson said...

Hi, Heather!
Cruella visits my house once in a while (more than I like to admit!) but I'm hoping grace covers it. Love covers a multitude of sins, right?

Saw you on facebook and wanted to say hi! Your blog is gorgeous! And so are your kids!

Marion said...

Heather, I always take the sick times as a sign that we need to slow down--not speed up. 104 degree fevers are not the time to go zooming all over town! As for Cruella, well, I confess to being Cruella a time or two. Or ten. Or more! As for Christmas parties, we skipped Nick's so we could watch Mark Ingram win the Heisman! We do have our priorities! Hope you have a better week this week and that everybody gets better!