Here are a few of the 150 or so pumpkin patch pictures I took last weekend. We had a great time on a beautiful farm with Aunt KK, Jackson, Granny and PapPa. Although I have no photographic proof (since I was taking the little boys to the potty), JD, Piper and Dave took a ride in a helicopter. JD paid for it himself, with money he won from being the top seller in a school fundraiser. I'm glad I didn't have time to think about the helicopter ride. The second we pulled up to the farm, JD declared that he wanted to go up in the helicopter and he had the money to pay for it himself. David and I agreed, but by the time it was JD's turn to ride, David and Piper had decided that they just HAD to go too. It was a quick decision and I didn't have time to ponder that 2 of my kids and my husband were going up in a helicopter with a pilot that could have gotten his license at Toys R Us for all that I knew. I'm not a scaredy-cat person at all, but a good chunk of my life and all of my sanity was up in the air for a few minutes. Thank the good Lord that they landed safely. Enough said.
My dad has been in town this week and every time that he visits, I wish he didn't live 1,700 miles away. He's fun to be around and I miss him terribly. The kids know that Granny is my mother and Daddy Jim is my father (and that they're not currently married), but this is the first time that they (JD and Piper, specifically) asked questions about my parent's divorce. They have friends whose parents are divorced and I think it finally occurred to them that I lived through a divorce too. So I fielded questions such as, "How old were you when they divorced?", "Do you remember them telling you that they were divorcing?" and "How did you feel when they married other people?" It was an interesting (and somewhat uncomfortable) conversation that I wish we didn't have to have. I tried to inject some wisdom into our discussion that... picking the right partner is very important, marriage is difficult, people are not perfect, and some couples give up way too easily. Now that I think about it, I guess it's not too early to start talking about these things on a fairly consistent basis. Divorce avoidance for pre-teens? It just sounds wrong on so many levels.
Pray for wisdom...pray for wisdom...pray for wisdom...












3 comments:
That sounds like a tough conversation but you handled it honestly and directly. I think your kids are going to grow up to be non-judgmental and very good spouses.
Meanwhile, yes, pray for wisdom. :)
If it helps any-after the fact- I personally know the guys that usually fly the pumpkin patch rides- and have flown with several of them. No amateurs there!! Although, I can fly a helicopter- so what does that tell you??:)
You should ask David if he remembers the helicopter simulator at Bama. All I remember about is a sign that said Helicopters only fly because they are so ugly the Earth repels them. So I guess David took a good look at it and figured it was ugly enough and therefore safe.
I took some classes with David at Bama and found him on facebook and then of course found your blog. I love it. I am a Stay at Home mom also with a blog. So some of the stuff is similar to things I deal with also.
Cindy
Post a Comment