This week marked four important dates for our family - my official resignation from the police department, Spring Break, Easter and Kai's 3rd Birthday. They were all wonderful in their own special ways.
Wednesday I turned in my letter of resignation. It was a terribly difficult decision to make, but in the end, I really wanted more time to stay home with Kai and the "big kids". Over the years, I have noticed that my personality is changing (for the good or the bad is not for me to say.) I can say that I am becoming much more settled, motherly, patient. I like our time at home. I like realizing that I have spent three hours doing nothing particular but talking with the kids. I haven't always been like this. Just a few years ago, I would have been clawing at the walls staying home everyday. I am much more relaxed now and have the peace of knowing that most things turn out ok if we just give them a chance to.
I will miss being a cop. I know I will. When someone cuts me off in traffic and has the gall to follow me to Chick-fil-A (happened this week), I will miss jumping out of my car with my badge. I will miss knowing what is really going on in our city. And although I should never admit it, I will miss hearing, "Well, you sure are the prettiest cop I've ever seen. You can arrest me anytime."
Friday we went to Chattanooga for Spring Break. We didn't have any big plans for the kid's holiday so we decided to take a quick (and cheap) day trip there. We had fun wandering around Rock City and Ruby Falls and took a ride on the Incline Railroad (the steepest railroad in the world.) David's parents met us for part of the day and we enjoyed the wonderful Spring weather and some beautiful scenery. Kai walked the entire day - at least 1or 2 miles at Rock City and then another mile at Ruby Falls. He is such a trooper. We saw other toddlers who were whiny, throwing tantrums, or just plain fussy. Kai, on the other hand, smiled and giggled almost all day long. He is truly amazing!
We celebrated Kai's 3rd birthday on Saturday. He started the day with a candle in his bannana and ended the day with candles in his Mickey Mouse birthday cake. Dave and I bought him a big train table complete with Thomas the Train figures and lots of track. It was a huge hit and Kai went to bed last night saying "I want train!" Kai's party included most of our family (except for Uncle David and Aunt Sheila who were pretty ill.) The only child in attendance was Jackson, Kai's beloved cousin. Kai loves Jackson! I mean love, love, love. Several times each and every day, Kai mentions where he thinks Jackson is. It usually goes something like this:
Kai: Kai at home.
Me: Yes Kai, you are at home.
Kai: Jackson at school.
Me: Yes Kai, Jackson is probably at school right now.
Kai: Jackson go to Granny house? (Kai believes he has a 100% chance of seeing Jackson at Granny's house.)
Me: I don't know if Jackson is going to Granny's. Maybe we can see if Jackson is going to Granny's house soon.
Kai: Good. Kai go to Granny house. See Jackson. (Big Smile)
We finished Kai's birthday with a dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. It was fun, low-key, and enjoyed by all.
Sunday was Easter and it was a wonderful day at church with our whole family. Of course, the kids dressed up a little more than usual and we got at least one good picture of all three kids (which is a huge undertaking!) Later on at Granny's house, J.D. and Piper hid eggs for Kai and Jackson - if you call scattering the lawn with eggs, "hiding". Dave and Aunt KK really hid the eggs for J.D. and Piper. They made it a true challenge. Eggs were two feet into bushes and even in the mailbox.
All in all, it was wonderful week. J.D. and Piper went back to school today and I truly felt a little sad. I can't wait until summer - only 2 months away!












No comments:
Post a Comment